Monday, May 25, 2015

Slide the City, a Review

A Review of "Slide the City" 

  A week ago my daughter and I got together with some friends to have a little good clean fun! We signed up for a city wide event called "Slide the City". It's a 1,000 ft. long slip n slide built for those that are brave enough to be silly, and put their pride aside for a few hours.  We all recently had participated in a 5K Color Me Rad, and they gave us a discount code. Of course, as soon as, our little racing buddies saw the post card ad they were all about this event. If you would like a short version scroll to the bottom for my event grade. 

  They offer a few different options for the day, and we decided that we would sign up for 3 slides. We thought we would want to do it at least that many times and since we were getting a rate discount it seemed like a great plan. And a bonus, they gave us an inner tube to use and keep.

  We arrived all decked out in tasteful, but appropriate waterpark attire, others didn't mind standing around a public park in their swimsuits. Our girls were ready to get in line and get the water party started. After check-in, a very painless process, we were directed to the line. Our hearts dropped when we saw the end of it! But, hey we were there to have a good time with friends. We were also instructed to blow up our "free" inner tube while we waited. 

 So my friend and I blew up 2 each and I had a funny feeling mine might have a leak in it, but the check-in line was so very far away from where we were. And I managed to get it inflated enough; or so I thought. By now we could see the people actually tubing down the giant slip in slide. It was huge with 3 lanes; the one in the middle being a triple wide. What we saw made us uncertain of our fate. 

People were not able to coast smoothly down the lanes. They had to slide about 10 ft, then stand up and "try again". The Slide took up an entire width of a street and at the very end was a large pool that collected the runoff. The street it was set-up on had a good bit of a grade, but I think that was one of the issues, there was not enough water flowing to make a steady stream. The surface of the slide appeared to be very slick. We saw many people, grown ups mostly, falling flat on their behinds. And if you stood up to walk but someone behind you was sliding good, you might get knocked down from a collision. This happened a few times while we waited. 


Next, we saw event volunteers with water hoses, they were spraying people as they went by them on the slide. We even got sprayed while waiting, and it sure helped to cool us off since most of our wait was in the hot sun with little shade! 

Another thing we didn't think about were keeping our keys dry or cash/credit cards....no lockers, no others in our group, and if you have electronic keys UH OH SHAGGY! We had to get creative, but we had plenty of time to figure it out in that long long line. Did I mention the line was really long? 
We ended up getting a Slide the City cinch top bag. It was used to hold flip flops/shoes, keys, sunglasses, wallets etc.  . .the bag itself was okay, but remember those water hoses? Our floats were in plastic packaged bags so we made use of that and carefully wrapped our keys in it. Since we paid for 2 spots we got 2 bags. We placed our keys in one bag and then put that in the 2nd bag. So at least we had a few layers. 

We FINALLY made it to the top of the hill, end of the line and beginning of the slide! Our kids were so excited to try this gigantic slide and get wet! A lady watching the event, asked us how long we waited. . .. .a quick time check later and we figured the wait was 1 hr and 30-40 minutes, give or take! We started off pretty well, but quickly realized it was going to take a minute to get to the bottom in one piece. Our group was able to go all at the same time.  I realized one of the problems is the road we were using was slanted to the right. So the water was great if you started on the left side, but you inevitably you will get pushed over to the right and wall will bring you to a halt. My float was doing fine until I had to stand up a few times and hurl myself down the slide. I noticed half way down my float was getting wimpy wimpy wimpy. At one point I did a split on the slide (I can't do that in real life) but my friend and I managed to stay close together. She kept getting attacked by a guy on a String Ray float. Despite the event people staggering sliders it gets crowded. 

I was about 3/4 of the way down when I had the idea that I must look so silly rolling around on this half deflated float trying to inch my way down to the end! Listen up, I am not a tiny girl, nor am I a big girl. But I can honestly say this is the SILLIEST thing I have found myself doing lately. I felt like a wet pig rolling around and the lack of water only added to this humiliation. At the end there is practically no water flowing. 

My friend and I both had other things we were expected to do that afternoon. So we both decided to forgo the other 2 slides. With a wait time of 1 hr and 30+minutes we weren't going to be able to wait again. In the end this was not the most horrible way to spend my day. Yes they offered an early rider ticket, as well as, the one ride option. But the thing I loved about this was the hysterical memory that I will never forget of hanging out with my daughter and our friends! Just a few fun loving Nuts willing to try anything! Id't do it again, if they can work out some of the kinks....


Review Wrap Up:


Cleanliness: B        It's hose water from the city

Entertainment C      

The local radio station was out spinning records, but it's supposed to be family friendly. He played a few songs that were not appropriate for young ones to hear. For Example, "I don't Mind"...Remember your AUDIENCE PEOPLE!!!

Organization  B       

They had 3 lanes but only 2 were open. More WATER, More WATER, More WATER. Maybe even a flatter surface would have helped. Lines were so so so long-maybe offer a fast pass option with a window of time to show up. Races do this in "waves" could easily be done with this event as well. 
The Snowcone lady, Chick Fil A and Country's BBQ were available. An ATM was on site, but we walked a good distance from our car and were not about to walk there and back 4 times. It smelled great though! 

Value B

I think if were able to get in our 3 rides, YES it would be.  Because I can honestly say after that 1 time, all of us were wiped out! I wish I had not paid for the 3 ride, and I wish I would have brought our own floats. Mine was defective....They did replace it after I was done, but since I had to leave that did not help me that much. 


FINAL GRADE: C-


It was the first time the City of Columbus tried this event. It was a novel idea and has plenty of potential and room for growth. Could easily turn into an annual festival event. The kids absolutely had a blast. I would do it again with the right friends to keep me company. But I would modify my plans a little. 


Thanks for reading StMS














No comments:

Post a Comment